Study Abroad Credit
Study Abroad Credit
Students will need to work with their Academic Advisors and Study Abroad Advisors before deciding to study abroad. Study abroad transfer credit cannot be approved until after students return from abroad.
Want to study abroad and wonder if you can get credit within your Communication Major?
- Review the Department of Communication’s course offerings to find equivalent courses: Click Here
- Complete the Study Abroad Credit Pre-Departure Review Form: Pre-Departure Form
- Have an electronic version (in English) of the syllabi for the proposed course
- Send the Study Abroad Credit Pre-Departure Review Form and Course Syllabi to Robert L. Davis (Undergraduate Registrar) at email@example.com
- Pre-Departure Approval is decided by the Director of Undergraduate Studies
*The Pre-Departure Review Form must be submitted to the COMM Department by the end of the semester prior to the beginning of the student’s study abroad program.*
Already studied abroad and want credit within your Communication Major?
- Complete the Study Abroad Course Approval Form: Approval Form
- Have an electronic version (in English) of the course syllabi
- Send the Study Abroad Course Approval Form and Course Syllabi to Robert L. Davis (Undergraduate Registrar) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Final approval is decided by the Director of Undergraduate Studies
Things to keep in mind:
- Classes that do not have a directly equivalent UNC-CH course should reasonably be able to fall into one of our four concentrations (Interpersonal and Organizational Communication; Media and Technology Studies and Production; Performance Studies; Rhetorical Studies).
- Courses can count towards concentration or major elective requirements.
- Students are not permitted to take more than half of their major courses abroad.
- All courses must be received and approved by the Department of Communication to receive credit towards the major. Even courses with similar titles may have substantially different content and thus, must be evaluated for equivalency by the department.
- The Department of Communication does not allow transfer credit for courses in Mass Communication, Public Relations, Advertising, etc. Consult with the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication (mj.unc.edu) regarding credit for such classes.
- Retain all course work and an electronic copies of the course syllabi.
After returning from a semester abroad:
- Access the Returning Student Checklist on the Study Abroad website once the program ends (students will be directed to the checklist via email)
- Complete the Credit Request Form HERE
- Once the request form has been processed, the Credit Transfer Specialist in the Study Abroad Office will contact students who are requesting major credit
- Use the template provided by the Credit Transfer Specialist to send the appropriate information about the courses to the Director of Undergraduate Studies for evaluation
- Provide course work and syllabus, as needed, to the Study Abroad Office or Department of Communication
- Contact a Study Abroad Advisor or the Credit Transfer Specialist in the Study Abroad Office with any questions
Study Abroad Credit Pre-Departure Review Form – PDF Format
Study Abroad Credit Pre-Departure Review Form – Word Format