Dear Communication Alumni and Friends,
I’m pleased and excited to share news from the Department of Communication for the 2015-2016 academic year. Whether you identify as an alum from communication studies; radio, television, and motion pictures (RTVMP); or speech communication, I greet you all as part of the department’s family!
This year we welcomed three new tenure-track faculty members:
- Bill Brown, who joined us this fall, is teaching in media production.
- Alice Marwick, who will join us Fall 2017, will be teaching in media and technology studies.
- China Medel, whose interdisciplinary focus is on immigration, labor, and visual aesthetics in activism, will be joining us in Fall 2017.
In addition to new faculty, we also welcomed six new graduate students from regional, national and international locales. Our graduate students are actively publishing, while also teaching and doing groundbreaking, creative and public engagement work. One of our current graduate students, Jonathan Foland, received the prestigious Tanner Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. During the summer, Heather Woods and Megan Wood co-organized a free, week-long, asynchronous writing workshop entitled Networked Online Writing.
For our undergraduates, the UNC Hollywood Internship Program continues to be one of the premier experiential learning experiences. Another opportunity for enhancing undergraduate education is the student-led chapter of the NCA Honor Society: Lambda Pi Eta, led by senior Katarina Caskey.
So much of what we do would not be possible without support from generous alumni and friends. I hope you will consider a year-end gift to the Department of Communication. Private giving enables:
- Recruitment of top–notch undergraduate and graduate students.
- Engaged learning opportunities and applied real–world experiences for undergraduates.
- Visits from exceptional faculty, lecturers and artists from around the world.
- Professional development for students and faculty, including access to internship programs and professional conferences.
If you’ve already given to the department this year, thank you! If you are interested in making a gift, please click here for secure online giving. Gifts of all sizes make a difference.
We are proud of all our alumni and grateful for our friends. Thank you for your interest and engagement over the years.
Dr. Patricia Parker, Chair